Beets contain phytonutrients called betalains that act as antioxidants and are shown to have anti-inflammatory properties. Betalains are sensitive to heat and decrease when beets are cooked. This recipe uses raw beets to help maintain their valuable antioxidant content. They are mixed with cabbage and carrots for a crisp slaw that makes a great side dish for cookouts.
Serving Size 1/4 recipe
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value*
0%Saturated Fat 0g
Trans Fat 0g
Yield: 4 servings
Preparation time: 15 minutes
- 2 cups shredded green cabbage
- 1 medium carrot, shredded (about ¾ cup)
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh chives
- 4 tsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 small beets, peeled and shredded (about 1 cup)
- In a medium bowl, toss together the cabbage, carrot, garlic, and chives.
- In a small dish, stir together the vinegar, honey, and salt. Pour the dressing over the vegetables and toss to coat.
- Add the shredded beet and gently toss all the ingredients. The beet will slightly color the other vegetables. Serve right away.